View Single Post
Old 09-13-20, 06:20 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronno6
Cannondale is sometimes hard to figure out.
CAAD2 frames (not CAD2) were built in 1997/8, and were sold with both 7 speed and 8 speed drive trains.
I would doubt that they made the same series frame in both 126 and 130.
Even as far back as 1988 they were actually using 128mm so that either 7 or 8 speed rear wheels could be used...
I have a CAD3 in 66cm and it is 130mm for 8/9/10 speed.

Anyway, I have used several different 126mm 8-10 speed setups for many MANY years and have ridden 32 spoke wheels
without incident, even when I weighed as much as 270#
If you do need 126mm, get a hub with a non drive side spacer of at least 4mm and a threaded axle.
Remove 4mm of spacer and trim the axle.
Move the rim 2mm to the NDS and away you go!!
My favorite setup is a Ritchet Zero system hub and Ritchey Zero rear rim with an offset spoke bed.
This results in a wheel that is darn near symmetrical
And, again, i have NEVER trashed one..........

I would recommend something from the Shimano Ultrgra 6600 or 105 5600 vintage components.
They are proven performers and pretty readily available at reasonable prices.
STI levers, racing rear derailleur, double chainring front derailleur, crankset
wheelset of your choosing and off you go.
I own 12 pre 1989 bikes/framesets in 63cm and love them.
Also a couple CAD3 in 63cm, and the 66cm, which is what I currently ride.
Also have a CAAD5 in 63cm.
Add a carbon fork and the ride smooths out considerably.
Great bike for the tall guy...............
Agree completely with all of that except that carbon fork installation suggestion. I know that many people fervently believe that a carbon fork makes a perceptible difference in the smoothness of the ride, but I and many others have never felt any such difference between steel, aluminum, and carbon forks. Apparently whether you feel a difference depends largely on whether you anticipate that you will feel a difference. Better to install the widest tires that the frame and fork can accommodate; that makes a real comfort difference that does not depend on a placebo effect.

In any event, only a few carbon fork manufacturers still offer a fork built to accommodate the obsolete 1" standard, and their forks are expensive.
Likes For Trakhak: