Old 09-14-20, 08:22 AM
banjaboy

Bikes: Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 Specialized Sirrus 6.0 Genesis Core 50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Well...............In 1968, yup,, a lifetime ago I was 18, my hero was an English rider called Tommy Simpson, he had died on Mont Ventoux the year before in the Tour de France. I used to write to himn, get handwritten letters back regarding gearing as I was a schoolboy and we were restricted to gearing, 76.5???? Not sure now in the mists of time, but needless to say my hero died. So young and stupid as I was I decided to head off to Europe mainland Europe, I was living in England at the time. I took my bike, a tent and little else. Took that Raleigh Record and my dreams. Over the next few weeks I rode Mont Ventoux in hie memory, did the Col Du Tourmalet, the Galibier, L'alpe D'huez. Young and stuoid but man, I learned what pain was, what an adrenalin rush was, elation. It was the trip of a lifetime for a young lad like me. I was young, as fit as a butchers dog but man, I suffered. I guess that one ride though it lasted a few weeks. Now Im 70 years old next week, I really want to do it again, will I? I WILL do at least one of those climbs.
Likes For banjaboy: