View Single Post
Old 09-14-20, 04:10 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 1,153 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I'm with ya on the "hot". What do you define as "cool"?

To me, if its much above 80deg its "hot". If evenings don't cool off to at least 70, if not 60's or cooler, especially if the humidity sticks around, thats not cool. Night temps in the mid-70's or above - forget it.

On the other hand, freezing temps, or near, at night can be a pain. Though, there are ways to warm up and keep warm. If its too hot you can only get so cool or take so much clothes off. I'd say below 45deg is "cold" and 46-60deg is "cool". Though, day temps in the mid-40's and night lows below freezing I'd still call "cold".
Instead of trying to define hot or cold or in between, I think it is simpler to just say I would rather have temps in the 40s (lows) and 60s (highs) (F) when I am camping than colder or hotter.

Some trips I also enjoy are colder, down to below freezing at night. And some warmer, up into 80s in daytime. But those are starting to get out of my preferred range.

My thinnest sleeping bags are good to about 40. But I have warmer sleeping bags that I can use when I anticipate it getting colder. My warmest sleeping bag was rated to minus 40, but I thought it was pretty chilly in that bag at about minus 15, so I thought that rating was an exaggeration, I bought that bag in the 1970s and comparable bags today would not be rated that low.