View Single Post
Old 09-15-20, 08:12 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by diggida
Thanks. I guess my concern is him being able to see over parked cars, and things like that. I’m also not sure how he’d take to such a foreign device. At his age and general mental capacity I’m not sure he’s up for new tricks, haha. Thanks though!
The biggest things with trikes, is that they don't lean when you go around a corner, which is pretty critical to keeping a two-wheel bike from flipping over when you go around a curve.
Three-wheelers, particularly delta trikes, are more like a sailing catamaran, where they want to lean the 'wrong way' going around corners. Tadpole trikes get around this by having two wheels in the front, for stability, 'Granny' basket trikes are typically so heavy, and low geared, that they're really only capable of low speeds, so it's not as much of an issue there, either.

For an example of what I mean, here are some British racing trikes (apparently, that's a thing) You can see what it takes to go around a corner with all the wheels on the ground: