View Single Post
Old 09-17-20, 12:29 AM
Dudeman1978
Bike Nut

Bikes: 2010 Scott Sportster P55 Hybrid Custom build, not much left from factory.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Wheel size is not a determining factor as many hybrids run 26 inch wheels... especially those described as being comfort bikes.

I agree, It's definitely mostly about frame specs...Hybrids tend to be longer frames,and no rear suspension for starters, then the drivetrain is geared more like a road bike. I have a Scott Sportster that's considered a hybrid. Put some nice wide diamond back straight bars on it, running 27 1/2" wheels with 2.50" wide tires, I'd go wider if I could but, anyways...I notice its a bit on the heavy side, but It rides real nice...even with knobbies on the tar, and with the Rock Shox Recon forks, its a monster when it comes to climbing curbs, logs, stumps....But at the end of the day, even if I change my gears and go with a 1X setup, I suppose it could be almost considered a hardtail MTB, but at the end of the day the frame design is always going to keep me in the "Hybrid Zone". I wasn't intending on building this bike when I started out, but it grew on me and after a lot of money, and my literal blood sweat and tears it became a great bike for what I needed...I use it to get around town to shop, I take it riding on the trails, I carry a ton of gear for camping, even pull a trailer when I need to carry a ton of crap. I've gotten off topic, basically I could strip it down to nothing and put bmx tires on it, and it'll still be a hybrid....
Likes For Dudeman1978: