Old 09-18-20, 12:12 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I used a double A frame type of tarp several decades ago, but not since. It worked fine for cool weather and wet weather. This time of year when you should have no bugs, that should not be a problem. I always looked for a pair of trees the right distance apart that had reasonably level ground between that was unlikely to turn in to a pond. Used a line to support it from trees.

Have used a Whelen tarp (lean to with awning) in winter, then we used cross country ski poles or snow shoe poles as poles to support it. But that particular one that a friend of mine owned was water resistant, not water proof, so we only used it in snow and not rain.

Of the two above, the A frame would make more sense for a solo camper. The Whelen tarp worked great for two or three, but a bit big for only one person. Or at least the one we used was a bit big for solo.

I was fortunate with my tarp sleeping, never in a place with mice. But I have been in a tent in some places with mice, our tent kept them out. A tarp would not.

I have several good light weight one and two person tents, so my sleeping under a tarp days are pretty much over.