Old 09-19-20, 06:46 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Then let's go back 9 years and disqualify Wiggins and give Froome that 5th victory that has now has no shot at ever claiming.

Sorry you didn't get to watch the most entertaining TdF in the last 30+ years.

Even an intractable Sky/Ineos hater like me had zero issue with that finish. Either/both of them deserved it. Even though Carapaz likely could have gapped Kwiatkowski at the end, he would not have been in the position he was in without all the work that #5 put in.

Vane, are you sure that the women you referenced were disqualified for crossing the line together, or rather because triathlon is a much more individual sport and that rules prohibit cooperation between contestants?
Not sure on this point (triathlon being individual, not team sport (even if triathlon racers likely are part of a team, just not racing as a team), probably you have an argument there.

Thanks for the expressed sympathy for me, regarding watching TDF. Usually am in EU and watch for free on Eurosport and my country (CR) also has free TDF every year. Except due to covid, I am stuck in Canada for the summer and no sport channel (we have here all 5 TSN channels) carries TDF this year like they did last years... no idea why not this year. I wouldn't care to pay some subscription to watch online. I will watch it later on by some means, YT or DVD or whatever.

I vaguely recall the jury was citing some breach of rules for the sport in question, the triathlon in that case and what other related sports it includes in some association. I only read it out of interest, because of a headline, otherwise I don't follow that sport, but I am sure it could be looked up on Google. LOL @ Froome's 5 victories, not likely to happen but that may not be because the rules are not there, just not enforced like in a machine like fashion or overlooked. I think, team or no team sport, the idea behind having such a rule still applies and I would rather bet on it being in the rules of UCI than not.

I believe the bicycling sport also has some rules like that and probably jury turned blind eye to it or just didn't think of it, or didn't want to think of it or if they did, they decided to keep quiet on that count. Reason for such a rule is that such cases can have impact on outside race related activities like betting on who wins etc. Also it comes close to the area of rigging the results for reasons other than just a betting sport. Its like in soccer match one team loses the match because they got paid behind the scenes by other clubs for which it is worthwhile to pay to stay in some tournaments, or what not. I am just outlining the wider area it can affect and don't want to argue it in some precise terms. I am not a lawyer anyway

Not saying any of that applies here at all, just that such behavior opens the way to its more frequent occurrence and before long, there will be rumors that such a and such two racers did that because of upcoming team change, to make somebody more attractive to other teams if he has this win to his credit... there is no limit to speculations like that. But mainly the rules are to keep the sport attractive to spectators. And some argument, like that it can actually bring more public interest in bike racing if such nice displays of sportsmanship happen more often, may be true, but sporting rules probably are not designed around this premise.

I am not particular fan of Kwiatkowski (LOL even have to copy paste his name) but upon reading that it was his only win in major cycling venues, I was glad for him (never mind that like you I am also not rooting for Ineos otherwise). Usually I root for cases like this in the few sports I follow, because they well deserve it. I believe he was always domestic on the big races and never got the opportunity to contend for a win.
I wonder if Sagan can swing a win tomorrow to get the green jersey, as above here someone said he could still win it and I take it, that means winning the stage in Paris. I disliked some of his displays of bravado after stage wins years back, but came to like him anyway, after all, he is almost my countryman and I can only be proud of him

Last edited by vane171; 09-19-20 at 07:22 PM.
Likes For vane171: