View Single Post
Old 09-20-20, 08:02 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
I drove all the way to CT and all I got was this stupid bike....

Friday road trip landed me a '98 Custom Rivendell Road frameset, built by Joe Starck, from a very nice fella on RBW. He bought it from the original owner, but then never managed to build it up. Doesn't look like Art M., the original owner, rode it much before selling it. I did manage to build it up, but haven't managed to ride it yet. Maybe tomorrow?

I mulled over the build while reeling it in, decided on this first go-round to do a period-correct-ish Riv quasi-tribute, all silver components, nothing insanely current. The frame came with Silver dt shifters, so they had to stay. Very few silver-rimmed wheelsets under my roof, at least ones that are modern-enough to have a 130mm rear OLN. All I had was a clean set of Ultegra tri-color hubs on Mavic Reflex SUP rims. 'Sup? Heh-heh.

Then I found a decent amount of Dura-Ace 7x00-series silver stuff, so rder/brakes/cranks/stem are D-A. I got the rder some time back with the cable anchor threads stripped and crappily done helicoil job, so I recently got a helicoil kit and fixed it better. Lost the original cable anchor bolt in the process, because me, so the replacement bolt is a bit fuglier than the original.

The top tube is a little on the long side for me, 60.5cm, so the D-A stem is only 90mm. Tried a D-A post, but there's not a lot of post showing, and the bottom of the flutes on the D-A post sat below the lugline, providing a possible water incursion route, so a cut-short Thomson Elite works for now. Been saving the green Brooks B-17 Champion standard for something, turns out it was this.

I wanted non-aero brake cable routing, but I'm no longer thrilled with those smaller vintage lever bodies. Then I remembered a pair of Campy C-Record dual-routing levers were....somewhere...and they turned up. Pairing them with the D-A 7800 dual-pivots is a little weird, I'm wishing the caliper spring tension was higher, but it oughta work OK.

It's geared for now with a 38/24 compact double, using a Peter White-sourced TA Zephyr ALIZE!!! K 130/74bcd tripelizer ring, mounted on the inside position. 11-28t 8spd cassette in the rear, so I still get a decent low gear and can use the med-cage bodge-job D-A rder. The Shimano CX-70 fder sits a little high over the outer ring, can't get it any lower without scraping the top of the chainstay, but it shifts fine in the stand. I didn't have a BBG bashguard small enough to use in the outer position, I'd have to raise the fder even higher for that, so there's a weird BBG spacer thingie there. Coulda just used track chainring bolts, but I guess I was looking for more silvery bling, and an unused outer chainring ledge just looks a little lonely.

The frame's built around 49mm-reach brakes, and the 33mm Soma Supple Vitesse SLs at about 30mm on the narrow Mavic rims are close to max. Pinch point is under the calipers, as it should be on a well-designed 49mm-reach frame, so wider would work OK, but taller would get too tight.

Having never shifted an 8spd cog range in friction mode before, I'm looking forward to a nice ride with a fair amount of cussing.

Flickr album here:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQTkD5A

Last edited by pcb; 10-05-20 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Jeez, it's an Alize!