Old 09-20-20, 08:20 PM
oldernwiser
Experienced Oldie

Bikes: 3 (commuter bike, racing bike, and mountain bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
That's like tighten till it snaps and back off 1/4 turn.

I determined my optimal psi by trial and error. I started high and went for a ride. Over the next few weeks I lowered it until If felt better and then squishy.

Your weight, the tires you pick, the size of the rims and your personal feel. I did the same with my collector car when I went with different size wheels and tires.
---------------------'
I wanted to add the kind of riding you are doing. I am not a leisure rider. I am always pushing the bike faster down the hill or having to break hard as the light turns red at the bottom of the hill, or a car turns in front of you because you are riding on his tail and he thought he passed you long ago. I am often in a hurry when one minute makes a huge difference at work. I just bought yesterday, a new 25c for the rear and a new 23 c for the front on my racing bike. I don't fall down as much on the ice and snowy roads because the skinnier tire cuts into the snow and ice better for steering. I weigh 150 lbs and with my 30 lb backpack puts me at 180 lbs. + or -.
i have dropped my tire pressure from 120 to 100 pounds, but I don't like any lower. Maybe I am old school , but I personally don't like riding below 100. If the pressure drops to 80 I will not ride it till I have pumped it back up to 100. Even at 95 it just takes the joy out of the ride for me. Maybe because of bad experiences in my past of tires going squishy on me. I love the rigidity and strength and protection the tire gives to the skinny wheel when I am pedaling over 35 miles an hour and concentrating ahead for the cleanest and smoothest path. I just have more confidence when I travel at speeds over 35 miles an hr every day except on snowy and icy roads during the winter. I am a very lazy rider. I have to ride all winter long so I don't have to start over in the spring. I love the thrill of keeping up with cars and in some cases passing them. I love keeping my body in shape and the undeserved reputation I get . I have not called in sick or missed a day of work in over 35 years.

Last edited by oldernwiser; 09-20-20 at 08:35 PM.