View Single Post
Old 09-21-20, 09:26 PM
tcpasley

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I don't know how rim weight effects the ride qualities of tubular tires, so I can't speak to that part of your question.

However, I'm a big guy, while currently a reasonable 210 for my 6' 1" height, I've weighed at times as much as 300+. The bike with tubulars I ride the most is my '71 Schwinn Paramount P13 which runs Fiamme Ergal red label tubular rims on HiE hubs. Fiamme are known as lightweight rims (not certain of the weight) which can be a bit touchy about keeping true. In my experience, I've not had any trouble with these rims going out of true and the roads here in the NH mountains are notoriously rough (plus I ride a good bit of dirt and gravel roads). Of course YMMV.

IMO you are safe to use lighter rims as long as the wheels are built and tensioned correctly. I'd err on the side of the more spokes and crosses of the spokes the better, in order to achieve a very sturdy and durable wheel. Best of luck on your decision.
Thanks, Pastor Bob. I guess I was mainly thinking of heavier rims negating the typical advantage of lower circumferential weight offered by tubular wheels. I'll probably never ride tires less that 25mm wide, and that would preserve most of the "plushness", but I wouldn't want to lose the "snappiness" of light rims. I have a set of 36h Ambrosio Montreals laced 3x to Campy Record hubs that should be sufficiently strong with the 27 mm and 30 mm tires I have. They are 2-3 mm wider and presumably stronger than my GL330/Nuovo Tipo wheelset, and the Montreal brake tracks seem taller.

I actually have a set of HiE hubs and some Araya 16B Red Label rims that would make a "stupid light" set of wheels. But only if I can get in shape. Something to work towards.

Originally Posted by Classtime
tcpasley GL330s are pretty light. I'm at 160 lb and I wrecked a pair in a couple of pot holes. I still have a pair on one of my regular riders and they have been fun but when they are banged up, I won't be looking to replace them with same. (I write this now but light wheels are a kick and who knows.) If I were you, I'd get a pair of Ambrosio Nemesis which are still available. I have Nemesis on one bike and have ridden them on multiple very rough events and they are like new. Mavic Tubular Open Pros are still around but we don't know what the future of Mavic will be. I don't think Velocity is making the Escapes anymore so replacement rims will be hard to come by and you may as well find a pair of GP4s which I have also ridden on the rough stuff and they are "bullet proof". In sum: Go new and go Ambrosio.
Thanks, Classtime. I checked on eBay for Nemesis rims and they're pretty scarce. I just missed out on a set of HED Belgium C2/DT Swiss hub wheels that would have fit the bill, but I may have a line on some GP4 wheels. I'm not sure if the GP4s would be stronger than the Ambrosio Montreals mentioned above.