View Single Post
Old 09-23-20, 05:12 PM
ja1124

Bikes: 1993 Giant Rincon, 1993 Trek MultiTrack 720, 1977 Raleigh Super Course, Giant Innova, 1995 Trek MultiTrack 700 (stolen from my possession but still mine!)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I don't think that the Super Course was fitted with Cyclones until the model was made with forged Sun Tour dropouts and it came in either red or gold (no chrome). That model did appear in the 1977 catalogue, but I don't think that's what you have.

The preceding year's catalog lists the Huret Challenger as the derailleur that was equipped.

This said, I wouldn't blame you for wanting a Cyclone. They are a great derailleur - just not original to your bicycle.

Thanks to Mark Bulgier, and our own Kurt Kaminer for the catalog scans.

1976 Catalogue link

1u977 Catalogue link
Thank for your reply. The serial number identifies it as a 1977 frame. Seems it was November of 1977. The color that I found under the brown paint does seem to be too dark of a red for that year, but it may have been painted twice. Most of the parts that were on it when it came into my possession are shown as original equipment for a 1977 Super Course, such as SunTour bar end shifters, SunTour alloy front derailleur, Raleigh Weinmann caliper brakes and centerpull levers, Weinmann A124 700c concave front rim laced to an Atom small flange hub, and Raleigh/SR crank set. What did not match were pedals (had Campy Gran Sport pedals, not Atom 440 alloy barrel), seat post ( had a 1" undersized steel post with duct tape taking up the slack), saddle (don't ask), rear rim and hub (Campy Victory hub laced to Mavic Argent rim). I'm open to any ideas you may have about it.