View Single Post
Old 09-25-20, 12:06 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
I can tell you what Not to eat before a long ride: Pasta. Your blood sugar will crash like nobody's bizzness.

When I was time trialing to work every morning for 25 miles, I needed something quick, and something that would provide instant power as there was no time to sit around and digest.

Trial and error turned up the perfect pre race meal: A huge chocolate malt with two eggs cracked into it.
This would be 5 cups worth. or about half of a 1/2 gallon carton of vanilla ice cream, Hersheys syrup, Carnation Malted Milk and the eggs. About 50,000 calories of pure heaven. Like a locomotive, right out of the gate. If it was real cold I would need a chocolate raised doughnut at mile 12.5.

Tour de France racers all eat the same thing every morning. Oatmeal plus a 2 egg omelette.

If I am doing a beach ride, 84 miles to Pescadero and back, then i load up on as much french toast as I can stuff. 12 to 16 pieces, with plenty of bacon. Couple of bananas in the jersey and no lunch required.

Your ride meal should start the night before. Pasta and Rice in large quantities. If you do not do this then any attempt to eat the enough the day of the ride will be futile.

Last edited by cjenrick; 09-25-20 at 12:11 AM.