View Single Post
Old 09-25-20, 07:24 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by MntnMan62
I'm guessing the yellow stuff is grits.

I have found that oatmeal is a great morning breakfast. Good carbs, good fiber and some added protein. And I find it to be long lasting. A little fruit like blueberries added in along with some coffee and I'm ready to go. And I take som Gu with me on the ride. I try not to pull out the Gu until very late in the ride when I am most likely to have depleted most of my energy stores. Although given what I have around my waist, I have a long way to go to use up my energy stores.
Lord have pity on people that call those grits.

Oatmeal with some brown sugar is great but I find if I eat too much it causes me issues farther down the line, if you know what I mean. For me, it is two slices of wheat bread with lots of crunchy peanut butter. But I generally like that about 1-2 hours before my ride.

Along the ride, I have bottle of tailwind mix drink that I start after about 2-3 hours in. I usually have a GU or cliff bar at about 1.5 hours in. I find that for really long rides, 100+ road rides or 8-10 hour MTB rides, I like a GU or cliff bar ever hour after about 2 hours in.