View Single Post
Old 09-25-20, 08:49 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by luddite_68
I'm a big guy ~300lbs, but athletic. I've been riding for 4mo seriously. My typical schedule is 3 week night rides 10-12mi as fast as I can go (strava has me at 14.5 including some stops major intersections max of 22mph on flat roads). I do one weekend ride trying to extend my distance. I've been going about 25mi and I am up to 30mi on my weekend ride. My riding goal is to increase speed and endurance by working up to a 50mi ride. My health goal is to loose weight. I am down 60lbs using CICO.

My current issue is with my long ride. I bonk at the end. Last week I got home, stretched, cooled down, ate and went to sleep for 3hrs. I use Nuun in my water and had 1 Gu packet about 1:15 into the 2:20 ride. I ate a Kind bar, a banana and 2 cups of coffee before I left. I live in a flat tropical climate, but feel that I hydrate well with the Nuun. I do need to start by 7:30a or it will get too hot and sunny.

I'm thinking my carb intake may be part of my issue. My fitbit shows me burning about 2000cal on this ride so I can afford to add some carbs and still be ok with CICO, but really don't know how to eat for doing cardio over that period of time. Any help from those in the know would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
What you burn today is basically what you ate yesterday, so eating a lot before working out is not advisable.

BTW, there are a lot better ways to get caffeine and other things in one mix rather than drinking coffee. Caffeine is often combined with creatine, BCAA's citrulline and a few other things in pre-workout powders like Pre-Jym and O/N Pre-Workout. Citrulline is a fantastic supplement with the same cardio effects as beet juice without the sugar and red urine. I think a maintenance dose of 5gs of creatine is a must for people over 50.