View Single Post
Old 09-28-20, 06:18 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Hoaglund
A 3 in 1 disinfectant cream would be nice but how about hydrogen peroxide? Any special soaps to use? My old skin tears easily.
I always have a tube of polysporin on a longer trip.
re your old skin tearing, I looked after someone for years who would easily get skin tears, so I took care of this sort of thing a lot. Proper cleaning, polysporin and a good clean covering that wont shift around is key to proper healing and not getting an infection.

re first aid kits in general, touch wood , but when biking the chances of using one is to deal with not too bad scrapes, so for me those little packs of folded up antiseptic wipes are super important to wipe the dirt and crap out of a wound, and then put some polysporin on it and cover it if possible.

a few years ago on a trip I had a little spill at slow speed, first spill on a bike trip, and cleaning out the scrapes on my elbow and knee worked great with those wipes. Sure, it stings but you have to get the dirt out. Put polysporin but didnt bandage at first because they were at bend points and I had to ride all day. Showered at end of day and loosely bandaged at night to not stick to things while sleeping.

and yes, miodium or anti diarrhea pills are important to have, put these and polysporin in my toiletry kit.

oh, polysporin is good to have if you ever start a saddle sore, very very important to get on top of it, keep it well cleaned and polysporin helps speed up the healing.
You will only realize the importance of the last sentence after you have had a saddlesore get worse.....(be sure your bike shorts fit well, keep them always always clean, and get out of them right away after riding and wash them)