View Single Post
Old 09-28-20, 07:09 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
If by cycling you mean road riding, I never got into it. I just like to ride my bike. I am not a very social person and dislike riding in groups larger than 3-4, so the absolute majority of my rides are done solo. And since the terrain is flat where I live, riding for hours on level and fairly straight paved roads is rather boring. Mixing it up with various gravel and unpaved roads and paths is what I like best, and have been doing it since I was a kid, except a 5 year hiatus from 2008 to 2013. A daily commuter for the last 5 years as well.

Cycling as a sport I find equally boring for the most part, although the televised event's can sometimes be enjoyable. But watching a peloton just pedal for 5 hours just to get to a sprint finish seems kind of a waste. Moreover, as I'm hardly a team player, the very concept of today's professional road cycling doesn't appeal to me, where you have to give up your own chances for others, waiting for your turn which may or may not ever come. Criteriums are not so bad, but I still haven't paid much attention to them.