View Single Post
Old 09-29-20, 09:04 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Back in the summer of 2015, I noticed that my T-shirts were getting tight. I knew I needed to lose weight, but didn't yet have the impetus to go about it. Not until I stepped on the scales for the first time in a long time and was shocked to see that I weighed 280. So that goaded me into finally getting serious about doing something about my health. My sister and her husband were avid cyclists, and she convinced me to give it a go. So I pulled my old mountain bike out of the shed, cleaned it up and started riding. It was hard work on that heavy old Walmart bike, but I kept at it. I always hated exercise, but I liked riding a bicycle since I was a kid. I kept pushing myself to go further and further, but it was still hard until I finally bought a new bike which fit me correctly, then it was hardly an effort to get out and ride. During this time I cut back on carbs & sugar and dropped 60 lbs. I went from never exercising to riding 10 miles in the morning and going on longer rides on the weekends, and eventually doing two century rides. I still enjoy going on long rides and finding new places to go, as well as doing group rides with friends. And now, having a regular form of exercise which I actually enjoy, I never want to go back to my sedentary lifestyle. I certainly feel better now.
Likes For Milton Keynes: