cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Yes

Not one side, the whole caliper can be rotated by hand with not too much friction, and no matter where you put it, it drifts so that the right pad (from photo&rider perspective) rubs on the rim.

In terms of operation and safety, there's no problem, the brake opens and closes with the lever as it should, and braking power is fine. The rubbing is light and probably doesn't even slow the bike down that much, but the constant scraping sound is annoying.

(Certainly it doesn't slow the bike down nearly as much as that one time on a different bike with cantilever brakes I discovered one arm's spring had come detached, so the other arm's spring was pulling it against the rim -- THAT slowed me down for sure)
Ok, I think you have a problem w/ the adjustment of the nut on the back of the brake assembly. The pivot bolt runs all the way through the brake and is stepped down for the nut that goes through the fork. It looks like you need to tighten the pivot bolt up a bit. You'll need to take off that front arm and adjust then put it back on.