View Single Post
Old 10-01-20, 02:33 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3489 Post(s)
Liked 1,484 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
... but honestly, cyclists should be able to carry enough water when touring.
Yup. I usually carry three liters on the frame when I anticipate being tens of miles between water sources. Someone on this forum several years ago pointed out that Smartwater brand one liter size bottles fit nicely in cages. I instead use flip top caps I got off of other bottles.

Life WTR (or in Canada Life Water) brand one liter size bottles also fit nicely in cages.
https://www.target.com/p/lifewtr-pre...e/-/A-51955216

Bottle under downtube best used with a strap to make sure it stays there. Fortunately, this frame has enough room for a full liter under the downtube, most touring bikes can't fit that large a bottle down under. And some bike frames have the seattube cage mounted too high for a large bottle, especially on smaller frames.

In the photo above, I took those bottles empty to a foreign country on the plane to use because of their capacity. Bottles get a bit beat up after a month of daily use, but never developed a leak. Shoved the empty bottles into the S&S case loose to carry on the plane.

I have never camped where i felt I would need more storage capacity but I have some bladders I could bring along if I went somewhere where I anticipated scarce water. I friend of mine camps in desert situations, he pulls a trailer to expand his water capacity. I am sure the Australians could educate many of us on water management when bike touring.

Someone above mentioned carrying a container to catch water to pump water from to avoid pumping sediment. Some trips I have carried the bottom half of a gallon jug that started out as a vinegar jug or something like that. About 80 grams with a small piece of cord for a handle. But I do not carry large cooking pots, so a bucket like that can come in handy. It is a bit small to conveniently do laundry, but it can be done.