Old 10-01-20, 02:38 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I had a road racing bike (Miyata Pro) that I raced as a junior through 1985. I didn't ride it more than 3 or 4 times from 1987 - 2004 (I only rode mtn bikes through that period), but, I hauled it across the country and moved it through 3 homes. Finally, in the winter of 2004, I was cleaning up the basement and decided it was time to let it go. By that time it needed some work to be rideable, so I donated it to a bike non-profit/charity. The following spring, some coworkers that rode bikes talked me into doing some lunch rides with them. Since I didn't have any sort of road bike, If one of them didn't happen to have a spare bike to loan to me I wouldn't have started riding on the road again. A few months later I bought a new road bike and the next spring I started racing again.

Flatballer, I don't know if the moral if this story is to sell your bikes now while they are still worth something, or hang on to them because you might ride it again in the future. If it were me, I'd probably sell the track bike since it isn't easy to just go for a spin on the track on a whim. But I'd hang on to a road bike in case circumstances changed and I got the bug to go for a ride.