Old 10-02-20, 06:08 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbobey
That's a very practical option, but I fear that after having spoken to gugie I'm even more committed to seeing this through on vintage steel. I'm getting something like the Miyata 1000 to ride now (a lot), and think/work toward a frame-up build that makes a rando dream a reality!
Do you know your best frame size, both ST and TT?

That Miyata 1000 linked above is a nice big one, with a short top tube - 62x57cm. Leggy, short-torso’d me would love it, but I’ve already got a Miyata 912, rando-modded with Gugificazione! And FWIW, that 1000 is not a 650B conversion candidate without gugie ’s help with canti post placement. Plenty of room for fat 700C tires, however, assuming the brake pads can adjusted for the 4mm smaller radius rim.

The seatpost on it is probably not ideal for a Brooks saddle since it has zero setback, although potentially OK with a plastic-based saddle with longer rails. Miyatas take a less common 26.8mm diameter post, but they are out there (and I’ve got a few extra).

Gugie is THE guy to talk to on rando builds on vintage steel. Also look for lonesomesteve ’s 650B conversions using early Treks.

Last edited by Dfrost; 10-02-20 at 06:13 PM.
Likes For Dfrost: