View Single Post
Old 10-03-20, 11:27 AM
helixbikes

Bikes: Custom Bamboo, Xtracycle, CAAD10

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I just finished my 3rd bamboo frame. I used a kit from Bamboo Bee, and the Brew Bikes Jig for this one. The inspiration for this frame came from child-hood memories of rding the 1-speed Swedish Military Bicycles built in the 1930's-1940's, that you can still find roaming around the islands of Sweden today. I decided to go upscale from there, so I opted for fancy British leather accessories rather than a drab green. Lugs were made out of fluffy hemp and a ton of Entroy CLR resin. I probably spent 100 hours on this build.

I intended for shiny silver wheels, but cheaped out and stole the set from a road bike.

I've posted these two in a separate thread, but here was my last build - based on a road bike kit from Bamboo Bicycle Club. I used their terrible DIY jig made out of pressed cardboard, which was cut inaccurately. Getting the thru-axles to line up properly stole an immense amount of time, as did lining up the flat-mount brakes after bending the aluminum dropouts to match the seat stay angle. Lugs were made out of 2-3 layers of flax, plus a couple of layers of stringy hemp. I guesstimate 150 hours for this build. Entropy CLR resin coat. SRAM AXS cut down on the cabling.

I'm still not happy with the cuts I had to do to provide clearance for the crankarms. My initial measurements didn't account for frame flex when pedaling hard.

Here was my first build, from a Calfee Kit, which I probably put 120 hours into. I used fiber-glass casting tape for the rolls, JB weld for tacking, and varnish. Many many mistakes were made in cutting and assembly. After a year (~500 miles) of riding, the poles came loose from the lugs, so I've stowed the frame as a testament to failure. I did have to make some intense cut-outs into the wood to fit larger tires with straight poles and 130mm dropouts, but they were at least reinforced well.

I'm currently planning a proper MTB build. Hope to share a photo of it in January-February.
Likes For helixbikes: