Old 10-03-20, 11:29 AM
Phreshnphunky

Bikes: 2015 Kona Zone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattscq
Wouldn't the most budget option to be just to swap the mech out if it's shifting performance you're not happy with?

I would imagine than getting a new set of wheels + an entire modern groupset could easily cost more than a new bike and would really only make sense if you're very attached to the frame.
Oh for sure, just replacing the rear mech is the most affordable. Maybe I'm finding an excuse to do some tinkering and getting new toys at the same time. Plus new is always better right?

And also, when considering a NEW bike....the prices now are climbing ever so beyond what is perceived to be affordable.

Originally Posted by George
My roubaix is a 2012 sl3 and it’s a great bike and fits me perfectly. I upgraded the group set to ultegra a few years ago and it made a great difference. I’m glad I did and the prices of new bikes , I’ll probably be riding it for a long time. I have 28 k on my bike and it’s like new.
When you find the right fit, modern updates and touches makes the difference!

Originally Posted by GlennR
Since you have Sram, why not stick with it. Depending on your budget look at the Trek Domane SL7 with Force eTap and disc brakes. Not cheap but if you really enjoy riding its a BIG step forward.

Keep your old bike for rain and foul weather since you'll be lucky to get $700 for it.
I was looking at the new Domane, its gorgeous. Plus, i'm not after selling the bike. It's definitely more difficult to sell a 10 year old carbon bike if one is unaware of the history.

Originally Posted by Narhay
Try aligning the rear derailleur hanger. Take the rd off and inspect it to see if it has developed play along the pivots. Replace the cables and housings throughout. If the rd has indeed worn out a new one for $50 and some maintenance vs a whole new groupset is worthwhile. Check the cassette, chain and chainrings to see if they are worn. I would take those savings and buy a nicer wheelset which will improve the bike more.
The hanger has been aligned, and the cables and housing has had an upgrade within the last year. I'm fairly meticulous with maintaining my bike. It get's more than enough love

Originally Posted by Badger6
First off, that bike looks great!

The real question is, what's your budget? If it is smaller, just upgrade the groupset and keep riding...if it is larger (or you can mange to make it larger), get a new bike that is disc brake equipped, full hydraulic if possible.
Budget is stretchable. I can honestly afford a new groupset, and a decent set of 20-30mm CF wheels.