DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8924 Post(s)
Liked 3,086 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
It's becoming the new normal in many areas.

Remember how (maybe you don't, you are young) you went to the dentist and he did all the work, he cleaned your teeth and if you needed a filling he would do it? Now you go to the dentist and 99% of the work is done by the hygienist, and at the very end the dentist comes by for 1 minute to inspect?

That's the same thing that is happening in medicine.

I don't like it but that's happening more and more. Actually in some states the physician extenders can practice totally independently, not even allegedly supervised by a physician. I don't agree.

Imagine if paralegals could practice without a supervising lawyer and say they can do legal work. It's kinda like that.

I'm sure this is driven by insurance reimbursement rates. They (Ins. Co.) don't want to pay the high rate guy to do entry level work so they force it to happen by reimbursing in a manner so that the care is delivered in the most cost efficient way. It makes sense as long as it doesn't force the entry level staff to do work above their pay grade. If you were getting a will written you would want the paralegal to paint by numbers and then have attorney review, adjust and revise and take much less time and passing the savings on to you.