LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTNate
March 30, 2017.

I rode my 2016 BMW R1200RS to court in Vista, CA for a hearing. Before the noon break, I rode to West Justice Center in Westminster, CA for a hearing. Look at a map and you'll see what a feat this was.

I left the courthouse, a woman in some Toyota sedan turned left, while looking right. T-boned my bike, witnesses told police I flew 50-100 feet in the air before hitting the asphalt. I broke 2 ribs, knocked unconscious, road rash on my right knee that you can still see today (I was wearing suit pants), punctured lung.

I remember thinking "I can't avoid this", swerved hard into the suicide lane, she struck the right rear of the bike. I remember looking at the handlebars as the bike fishtailed violently. I remember thinking "I can't save this, I'm going to crash". The next thing I can recall is waking up on the asphalt, face up, with a woman on a cell phone standing over me, and I heard sirens approaching.

So I spent all morning at triple digit speeds, only to be hit doing 40mph - the speed limit.

I spent 1 night in the hospital. This happened on what... a Thursday? I can't recall exactly without looking at a calendar.

The following Monday I hobbled my butt back into court, because no work, no money. I missed a single day of work, because it had to be done.

I still have the helmet, which saved my life. My face would be permanently disfigured if not for the full face Shoei GT-Air I was wearing.

I never took any painkilers, other than something in an IV they insisted I take. I was written prescriptions for pain killers, which I ripped in half and handed back to the nurse.

I did take muscle relaxers for my back, so I could sleep.

I know this is not a thread about motorcycle accidents, but that's my story.

I have a small scar on my right shoulder - which I never understood, because I was wearing a leather jacket with shoulder armor, and while the leather was scuffed pretty bad, the armor was pristine.

My right knee is scarred.

I cannot sleep more than 7 hours on my back (I can't sleep any other way, never could). I get pain that wakes me up, and the pain goes away the second I sit upright. Zero pain otherwise - but 7 hours, and I can't just stretch and lay back down. As a result, I no longer need an alarm clock. 2 surgeons, MRI, x-rays, and they never found anything to "fix". I was told "lose weight". I've lost 80 pounds, and it didn't help. Whatever is going on in my back, it limits my sleep to 7 hours or so, but that's it. I have no other limitations as a result - and I used to do Crossfit workouts, so I've got a very strong back. Strength training and weight loss has done nothing to help, and neither has nearly 4 years. But, I have no brain damage or any other issues as a result, and I'm not dead, so I'm grateful.

I remember the paramedics in the ambulance taking me to UCI Medical Center laughing and saying "wait until she finds out that she hit a lawyer".

The settlement was a substantial chunk of the down payment on my current home, but I'll say this - if I could give the money back and erase my accident from history, I would. It wasn't worth it.

My username "Juan Foote" is from the result of my moto accident. I won't go into that here.

Worst bicycle wreck was off the start gate at a BMX race. I was attempting to time the christmas tree for a better jump on the start during practice before the race. Myself and one other rider bumped the gate too hard and it locked in position. When we bounced backwards from the impact the gate then opened and I lurched forward over the handlebars and came down directly on my right elbow. Broke it into three pieces directly in the joint. They operated on it and put pins in, along with a wire to hold it all together. I was in various cast and sling for over a year. I was only supposed to have a small ROM with that arm, but as soon as I was released to use it I would pull it up and down on the edges of the range of motion until I regained almost full use of it.

The most recent serious bike wreck I had actually did much more mental damage to me than physical, in that it placed "the fear" in my head and I haven't been as free spirited about riding since.
We were up in Atl on one of the Dragon Con nights. Super fun just to ride back and forth at the hotels and convention area seeing all the people and costumes. Buddy and I were riding side by side up a short section of trolley tracks, actually talking about not riding over them correctly. Front tire fell into the rut and down I went. Leg went flying off, hurt my back and hip pretty badly. Ended up being bedridden for several weeks and still have trouble with my lower back from it. Worst of it is that I actually worry more about being hurt while I ride than I can focus on the ride aspect.