Thread: The di2 thread
View Single Post
Old 10-10-20, 09:21 AM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Resurrecting this thread as it seems most appropriate for my question on Di2 wiring.
Some background in brief. I used to ride a 2013 Cannondale System Six HiMod Evo electronic only frame -- which has no separate "trap" door or the like for accessing anything internally -- with 6870. I had the B junction in front of the bb shell. Early on, something was amiss with the connection, so I had to tap out 1 side of my Chris King pf30 bottom bracket, remove the sleeve, fish out the B junction as part of my diagnosis and fix of the situation.

I now ride a Parlee Altum which has a "trap door" so I can easily access the Di2 system without removing the bottom bracket. I moved the 6870 items over to the Parlee

Now, I am building up the old Cdale for one of my sons, and I'll install 6870 on it. Although the likelihood may be low of having something going awry so I need access to the B junction box and various wires, I want to do my install such that I could do this without having to tap out part of the bottom bracket after I install it.

Below is my plan, and I am wondering if there is a flaw in it that I might be missing.
I am going to place the B junction in the seat tube, and have long enough wires such that if I need to access the B junction, I'd simply pull out the seatpost, and pull up the wires and the B junction box.
In order to do this, I'd run:
1000mm from the rear der to B junction (yes, there would be lots of slack, but, if I need to ever pull the B junction up via the seat tube, the slack will allow me to pull B junction up and out of seat tube without losing contact with any wires);
1400mm from A junction (at stem) to B junction (again, lots of slack, but, if I need to ever pull the B junction up via the seat tube, the slack will allow me to pull B junction up and out of seat tube without losing contact with any wires)
650mm or 700mm for front der to B junction (yup, lots of slack for same purpose as noted with 1000mm and 1400mm);
300mm for internal battery to B junction.

My key assumption/belief is that I'll have enough space below the B junction placement in the seat tube for all of the slack. I'm guessing others have done this. Any flaw to this? Am I missing something key in my approach? Thank you.

(And I already bought all the 6870 parts, so, I'm not going to use wireless Sram AXS, although, I see a great deal at ProsCloset on it now, after acquiring all the various 6870 bits over time at good prices!!! Yes, the Sram system would have solved everything.)

Last edited by bostongarden; 10-10-20 at 09:26 AM.
Likes For bostongarden: