Old 10-12-20, 10:05 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
It's true that there are lots of sources of toxic and harmful stuff, and it's near impossible to avoid much of it, but I think we need to try to reduce the amount of mess that we're making.
Yeah ..... hmmmm. It is probablye that a lot of people could do a hugely smaller amount of harm by not turning on the AC or heat until their homes got a few degrees hotter or cooler than they now use as a trigger point---a portable fan or a sweater ..... Buy or make one's own bio-friendly cleaning chemicals .... driving cars is damaging from manufacture to disposal, and making both roads and petroleum fuels is constantly destructive.

Get off your computers, too .... not only are we very destructively mining and manufacturing with rare-earth metals, we are using electricity, both at home and to cool massive server farms.

And you know what's the best part? If every citizen cut his/her chemical/carbon/energy footprint in half, industrial pollution would continue to be 90+ percent of the pollution created.

I spent enough years as an environmental activist, doing whatever I could to minimize my impact. I found that everything just kept getting worse.

I do what I can, but I won't hurt myself or constrict my life options to have an infinitesimal difference or none at all.

Have you ever considered the sourcing of the coffee you drink? The enormous environmental damage caused by the factory farms which produce the bacon you love? Yet, Americans have roundly rejected paying more for safe sources, and reject vegetarianism outright.

Pretty sure I am not killing a significantly greater number of fish, birds, or animals based on my choice of chain lubes.