Old 10-13-20, 11:16 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
My experience with really high end audio has been in mastering studios (mastering MY music) where they had speakers that were in the $40,000 to $100,000 range...and I don't know how those speakers compare to say, $20,000 speakers, but I do: in the two studios I've used for that purpose, the sound was fantastic.
I own a pari of Paradigm studio 60 speakers, which I think are great ((can't remember what they cost, but it was under $2000), but they don't faintly compare (nor, of course, does my amp, etc).
In high end audio, it is totally possible to find overpricced things that don't sound good, but the state of the art can be awfully great...
On the other hand, studio 1's, $40,000 spearks did the job just as well as studio 2's more than twice expensive, but I have NO idea which actually sounded better, or how they were different (the use of each being several years apart). But with both the experience was: WOW! I've lived in this music, but I never heard all of it until then.
Mastering studios have much better speakers than recording studios.
I don't dispute that there aren't differences with expensive equipment in a professional environment. This would be the case for both bikes and audio gear. But when it comes to the consumer, there will come a point that you reach diminishing returns. In a mastering studio, EVERY variable is controlled. The acoustics of the room have been measured and accounted for. Speaker placement has likely been calculated to the millimeter. The users in that environment are professionals and can recognize and benefit from the differences.

The same sort of thing happens with bikes and pro users. It's the rest of us that will hit the wall at some point before we reach the upper end of the price scale.