Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I just realised something:

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
dont think I had terrible technique - pretty similar to most people that don’t pay attention to it. But, after concentrating on better technique, I can generate 20-30% more sustained power than I can on flat pedals.

Are you comparing yourself to being on platforms but not paying attention, to switching to clipless and then paying attention?
I think you are, and in that case, I'm right: Something else was going on. It's not the pedals, it is you paying attention to what you're doing.

If you're still claiming the 30 percent additional power, You must think I'm superhuman. I use platform pedals, and I can keep up with similarly loaded bikes other people ride. I not only have a somewhat knobbly front tyre, but belt drive and a Rohloff. Yet, I still manage to keep up with people. I guess I'd be much quicker up hill or with a much larger load with the ability to output 30 percent more power.

I can't believe I'm wasting 22 percent of the power that people running clipless have. I could gain 30 percent of power just by switching pedals. What a waste of my effort. Damn platforms.

Oh, but I'm more than merely superhuman: I am also a below-the-knee amputee on the left leg and tend to therefore use my right leg a bit more (I really have to concentrate to make the left leg work as hard as the right one). With all those losses, it's magic how I seem to be able to keep up with people.