View Single Post
Old 10-17-20, 05:37 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
When I was in my 20s I would wear running singlets and I didn't think nothing of visibility. But now in my 50s I make sure to wear mostly red, one yellow, one orange active wear shirts with black cycling shorts and a blinking light on my post. Unfortunately I haven't gotten any wiser or smarter and here's the story to prove it. (I'm glad this isn't a A&S thread).
I live in Texas and it wasn't that hot one summer day and decided I'd wear a black active wear shirt and Not be cool but look it. After I made the turn around it got really hot and started to question the black shirt decision. Anyways, there was a tree on the opposite side of the country road (against traffic) and I headed to the shade it was throwing on the road to make a bike adjustment. I should've got in the grass but I didn't want to risk a flat plus there's not a lot of traffic where I ride. But here came a pickup truck heading right towards me. I figured it was someone trying to scare me BUT it kept coming towards me like he didn't see me, but instead of getting in the grass I decided I'd stand my ground and started waving my hands to alert him. Finally right before I was gonna jump into the grass he veered away from me. (Hold on guys I get dumber) as he went by I Spit On His Pickup Truck. Now, his brake lights come on he shoves his pick-up in reverse and starts heading right towards me. (Hold on guys I get even dumber). I decide in my rage from almost purposely getting run over that I wasn't moving and he was gonna have to really run me over. But like before, he veered at the last second...then stops right beside me. Then he starts yelling at me about spitting on his pick up and I yell back because he tried to run me over and he yells " I didn't see you and why would I intentionally run you over". I YELL back cause some people don't like cyclist. He was kinda taken back and told me I shouldn't wear black cause he couldn't see me in the shade. Then he burned rubber.
There are a few takeaway lessons here. Number One, Don't spit on pickup trucks in Texas. 2. Wait a few years before you tell this story and tell it here first. 3. What a dumb sss I was and hopefully won't put myself in that situation again...but if I know me.
Ok feel Free to add your What An Idiot comments directed towards me, I deserve it and This Is cycling discussion thread.
Finally now I can tell this story to others.
BTW, I haven't worn a black shirt on the Road since that incident s few years ago. And FWIW, i read a little article in cycling magazine years ago that the color that alert drivers the most Was Not orange, yellow or red but was....Pink. Who knew? Well I did, but I still wore black that day.
​​​​​​