Old 10-18-20, 09:47 AM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM
In general, I like the color yellow. French’s mustard yellow. My favorite t shirts and jackets are yellow. There’s this racing thing, though, where there’s a meaning behind wearing a yellow jersey and maybe that is why I can’t find yellow jerseys?

Surly made an amazing funky slightly-orange yellow wool jacket that was amazingly amazing. Like an idiot I only bought one. I should’ve bought fifteen or twenty. I currently have a dark blue one and like it a lot. I’m going to have to buy at least five of the white ones.

I tend to favor red bikes, but have a yellow one, too. I recently picked up a new frameset that’s black, purple, and white which will likely be covered in salt & sand for a third of the year.

That said, as a driver with acute adhd, especially after work when my pill has worn off, I can relate probably too well with drunk/stoned drivers. These are my findings, regardless of light from the sky or lack thereof:

-Cyclists without lights dressed in dark colors (whether DUI or S-Works Venge riders) effervesce into the road approximately 0.25 seconds before I pass them
-Cyclists without lights wearing non-dark, non-dayglo clothes (bmxers in 80s-o-riffic striped t’s & polos or aspiring writers in khakis and sweaters) appear about 0.5 seconds before I pass them
-Cyclists without lights dressed in dayglo appear about a second before I pass them
-Cyclists with blinky lights and non-dayglo clothing appear about a half football field away momentarily (not a pun, but enjoy it as such if you like) but then get written off as a reflection/glare and disappear until reappearing 0.25 seconds before I pass them.
-blinky + dayglo appears, disappears, then still only reappear about a second before I pass them.
-cyclists with blind-yo-mama bright steady lights command constant attention from at least a football field away, regardless of clothing.

Judging lights’ brightness in a store or your driveway makes as much sense as doing the same with tires and their rolling resistance and/or durability.
Thanks for this unique perspective on visibility. I suspect that it does not differ much from the distracted driver, which these days are most of them.
Likes For royphotog: