Old 10-19-20, 07:50 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
I'm not sure I've ever seen a Campy 41t chainring in the flesh, with my own eyes, but I have seen them offered for sale. They definitely were manufactured and do exist.

You can get a 144bcd 41t TA ring fairly easily through Peter White, or perhaps some other vendor who carries TA product. It's in TA's Competition line, 144bcd rings to fit that old standard. I have no financial or other tie to Peter White other than sending him money every now and then for cool chainrings, and thanking him for carrying cool chainrings if I see him at a show. He is known to be a little dry and curmudgeonly, don't say I didn't tell ya.

I'm using one on my '71 Raleigh Pro track bike, primarily because I need to keep the wheel/axle fairly far back in the dropout/end to get enough tire clearance, which I couldn't do with a 42t and get the gearing I wanted. I'm using it in the outer position, and the chain is leaving grease marks where it contacts the top of the spider arm, but no gouging yet. Though I've only got about 50mi on it so far.

What I've heard/read from others is that they just ride the 41t, and eventually it removes as much metal on the spider as it needs, so it doesn't seem to be necessary to proactively file the ends.

Peter White's chainring page, hopefully going straight to the TA Competition rings:
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ta-...hp#competition

Here's one on ebay, in the UK, not currently in stock:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192204585545

Gratuitous '71 Raleigh Pro Track pic with 41t TA Competition ring:

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
That's interesting. I've never seen a campy 41T. It must be from the last few years of NR/SR. With a traditional bushed Regina type chain, 42 is the minimum. The relatively high side plates would hit the spider if you tried to use a 41. It only worked when people started to switch to sedisport chains.

I remember some people running Avocet 41T rings. Avocet/Ofmega cranks had a notch on the top of the spider arms, to make room for chains with taller side plates. How's that for C&V cycling trivia.

Anyhow, I looked up the spec for a 91 Trek 1200, and it's supposed to have an RX-100 crankset, which is 130.