Old 10-21-20, 10:35 AM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Terry Hybrid Conversion part 2

I finally got my ~ '93 Terry Solstice Hybrid bike to Jack Trumble. He spread the dropouts to 160 mm and painted the frame. My plans for the bike is to convert the back end to a 1x mountain bike, and the front end to a road bike. In other words, a "mullet". The idea came from Bikepacker, "Mullet". Sorry about the lack of photos and links, but I haven't been able to take the old ladies' comuter courses at the library. I plan to do casual tours of 50 to 80 miles on the road, and maybe hard-packed gravel. Bruce will force me on some steep hills.

This is the list of parts:
shifter, Microshift BS-SR-M12
derailleur, Sram Eagle GX
casette, Sram Eagle GX 10-50 teeth
Sram XD driver
as yet not determined by brand mechanical disc brake in back
as yet not det. by brand non-disc brake in front
bar end shifter

I'm interested in the above list because the author swears they're compatible. I need the disc brake to descend the hill going out of Gambier, OH, without dying. I like the idea of 50 teeth for the occasional steep hills my husband thinks are fun. My Surly already has bar end shifters, so I'm used to them. Just to show my ignorance, what is the driver for?

Also, what 700 mm wheel for the back? What 24 inch wheel for the front, as this frame is a Terry? I'd like to keep the weight down since the frame itself is no gazelle. Fairly light but midrange wheels.