Old 10-21-20, 08:05 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4317 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Just looked up #2 because I felt intuitively it couldn’t be right, and I was kinda wrong for a different reason. Studies in Europe (Germany, Netherlands) show that rear blinky lights can actually be more dangerous because of the “moth effect” when it comes to drunk drivers. Drunks tend to drive toward flashing lights. Ever wonder why so many police cruisers get nailed by dunks at night with their safety lights on? In fact several European countries ban rear blinking lights. Who wooduthunkit?
  • Drunks run into all sorts of things. With or without flashing lights or any lights at all.
  • It's not established that the "moth effect" is significant. (The on!y study I'm aware of is one involving snow plows.)
  • How many police cruisers get "nailed by drunks"? All we know is some of them have been. We have no idea of "how many". How many are "nailed" by not drunks?
  • Even with such an effect, you might be safer with flashing lights (not all drivers are drunk).
  • Some countries ban flashing lights on bicycles (maybe, it's only Germany). No reason is indicated. Maybe, it's because flashing is reserved for emergencies. If some of them allow them, doesn't that suggest they aren't less safe?
  • Even with such an the effect, emergency vehicles all use flashing lights. Do you really think they do because they think it's less safe?

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-21-20 at 08:16 PM.