View Single Post
Old 10-22-20, 11:32 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
As I thought, it is a 1972 model. That serial number is for the 1972 calendar year and in this case we know it's not a 1973 model manufactured in late 1972 because the Targa replaced the Turismo for the 1973 model year. Also, those fork blade reflectors were factory applied and only used in 1972.

The previous D-code sequence actually dates to circa 1961, at which time the Turismo didn't exist and CCM wasn't offering derailleur equipped models. A 1961 would have the serial number stamped on the rear dropout, while a 1972 would be stamped on the lower, non-drive side of the seat tube, between the BB shell and front derailleur clamp.

I couldn't quite determine the bottom bracket diameter in the original photo. Prior to 1972, the frames for the derailleur equipped models used the large diameter shell with press fit, outward facing cups, as typically employed with one piece, Ashtabula style cranks. To accept the cottered cranksets, they used an adapter bottom bracket. 1972 was the year that CCM redesigned the frames and brought them up to date.

I went back and checked my literature, The colour is called Pursuit Blue. The other finish was called Prima Citron. I also noticed that I had missed missed another clue that defined it as 1972. The 1971 models still used the old, twin plate, fork crown. I don't have 1972 pricing but 1971 was $94.95 CDN, so 1972 was likely around $99.95 CDN.

The Turismo was the best selling CCM "10 speed", primarily because it was the cheapest, being the bottom model in the four model "lightweight" line. At the time, young adults and teenagers with their own discretionary income were buying primarily Peugeot U08s. The Turismo's clientele was primarily a parent buying for their teenager. Those parents had three criteria; spend the least amount of money possible while buying Canadian and from an LBS that could service the "new fangled" 10 speeds. The shop where I worked would sell literally hundreds of Turismo in a season, while the three other lightweight models combined might sell a couple of dozen.
A better picture of the BB.