Old 10-24-20, 06:43 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob the Mech
I use a KMC Missing link...and I only use KMC chains for my 11, 10, 9 and 8 speed set ups. I have installed a KMC link on a Shimano HG54 HG-X 10 Speed Chain (on a friend's request) with no issue thus far (8 months and 1600 miles). I will use the Missing Link 3 times in one chain before replacing it with a new one. If I purchase a new chain, then I wolud use a new Missing Link (supplied with the chain). Use a dedicated chain link pliers, makes removal so much easier
Ditto - I've been using KMC chains with their Missing Link for over 12 years. The link comes with a new chain.. I believe KMC recommends no more than three re-uses of their Missing Link.. Some have said they have used these more than three times without problems. I do not mix-and-match chain and master link.

When I was riding 8- and 9- speed, the SRAM chain and their master links were a great system. You could remove the master link with you fingers, no tools needed. And I don't recall they had a maximum number of reuses. However, SRAM 10- speed and above use a different master link, which I believe is only to be used once (hopefully someone can agree or correct me on the one time use of SRAM 10- spd and above master links).
Likes For MudPie: