View Single Post
Old 10-26-20, 08:57 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 1,853 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I had an MGB with a Lucas electrical system. It was more "Fail to drive by wire".
Back in the 60's and early 70's, my dad was an engineer with Pratt Whitney at NASA. His off time hobby, was rebuilding and manufacturing parts for MG's. He bought some land west of town that used to be a farm that had a huge barn that he converted to a machine shop. He had 10 to 15 non running MGA\MGB's that he would use for parts or use as models so he could machine his own parts if he could not use them. The pride of his car stock in the "MG barn" as it was known, was a 1954 MG TF in British racing green. Loved that car more than life or his family as we found out. His machine shop work building parts became so well know in the area, he made enough money for him to rebuild the MG TF to like new condition. He even built a paint shed to do the painting.

I seriously think working on those cars made him go insane as he was such a perfectionist as most engineers are, that he would complain that whoever design this, that, or the other thing were stupid and should be shot for creating something that would always fail. After he redesigned several parts, he sent letters to MG with the designs. They paid him for several of them if I recall as a couple of them were safety related.

After a while, my mom was tired of the "MG Barn" and he ended up selling it for some obscene amount of money, divorced my mom, and took his MG T to Texas, never to be seen again.

Even though its a crappy ending, to this day, I have a thing for MG's.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 10-26-20 at 09:17 PM. Reason: fixed the model of the car....
Likes For jaxgtr: