CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Most of my route doesn't have bike lanes so we mingle with vehicular traffic. We really don't have a choice but to adapt. Learn to have 100% situational awareness on the streets at all times until it becomes 2nd nature. I've done almost 2000 miles now riding in such conditions and often even worse but thankfully, nothing more than minor incidents, usually when dealing with kerb at low speed but nothing involving other vehicles nor pedestrians. I have yet to learn how to bunny hop.
There's a lot of things you have "yet to learn".
You do realise that many of us on these forums have been riding bikes for decades, right? I personally am closing in 4 1/5 decades of bicycle riding. Most of us know what it takes to ride in a city without bike lanes.

I wouldn't wear anything that I feel is unsafe.
Your opinion on what constitutes "safe" has very little weight, considering you have done a whole 2000 miles in your life, apart from that "period when [you were] 16" where you had a bike. And that it's only been or week or two since you moved to a bike that actually has the potential to fit you instead of that clown setup you had on your previous bike.

Flip flops gives me sure footing on the bike. It's not the same as for walking or running. Flip flops are terrible at those but ironically great for cycling.
No, they don't give you "sure footing". And, no they're not "great for cycling". Let me ask you again: Do you grip your pedals with your toes?

My current shoes for cycling are actually Nike branded shoes that I think is a driving shoe with thin and firm soles with thin padding which is great for pedal stability.
Who the hell cares about the brand!? It's flip-flops. If I buy some Ray Mears flip flops it doesn't mean I'm suddenly a survivalist or that they're great for trekking.
Originally Posted by cubewheels
If my ride will include a long walk, I'll be using shoes. Especially shoes that are like Vans shoes in design.
I really don't care which design of shoes you use for walking.
]
When I was 13, I did around 1000 miles (almost 3000 miles total if including current period) on a 700c CX bike
Woopty-doo. I'm sure you said "16" in one of the other threads. Now it's "13"? I may be wrong, though. So 3000 miles. 1000 when you were 13 (or 16), and now 2000 on top. Wow, such an expert. I can see with all your choices - especially with your last bike and your constant comparisons to pro bicycle riders that you must be an expert.

, also in the city streets but different route that I do now. Also using flip flops. Ironically, the roads are a lot safer then. Lighter traffic, less motorcycles on the road and drivers are more calm.
How much on this new bike of yours?

One VERY important thing cyclists should pay attention when using shoes with laces, the knot should be as obscure and securely hidden as possible or they can get caught in the crank ring and chain.
Jesus H Christ, you're seriously thinking that people on this forum know even less than you! Have you so little idea that you think people don't know that shoe laces can go into/onto the chain ring? Have you looked up the Dunning-Kruger effect yet?
Likes For CargoDane: