Old 10-27-20, 02:58 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I don't see how cleat position, adjusted for minimal toe overlap, is going to hurt anything. Yeah, you may have to change your seat height, but that's not a showstopper. I have my cleats all the way forward so that the pedal spindle is under the ball of my foot. I maximize power and minimize toe overlap.

But for the most part, I'm going too fast to get toe overlap (you just can't get that large a steering angle at speed). I do get some toe overlap on the tight turns of a CX race if I have a 700x54mm tire, but I just keep pedaling because it doesn't really impact anything under strong power.

How tall are you? You could move your cleats, increase the rake of your fork (if you don't mind more agile steering), make sure you have small shoes, go to tires with a smaller diameter. 650b wheel is probably the most effective mechanical change (if you don't mind the lower BB). If its a slow speed problem for ya, ratcheting the pedals, or just coasting through tight turns are two techniques that will work. But, if you are carrying your momentum and carving a smooth turn, you aren't going to get those steering angles unless it is a really slow tight CX type turn.