Old 10-28-20, 12:07 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
With a rim brake it isn't only a few, looking at a front wheel, the torque of the hub will transfer that torque through its momentum to all the pulling spokes at once, unless you're arguing that the rim is deformed while riding bit then we would have to look at how that deformation changes as braking changes the dynamics of the system also recognizing that a disc wheel is under similar deformation. The trailing spokes are of course slightly unloadeunloaded.
But with a disc brake, using a cheap underbuilt one which is easy to grab off ebay, the initial force, even though it is truly only momentarily, the force is directed through the braking side pulling spokes only while the trailing spokes will be weakened. Either way, discs stopping the force in a shorter time span results in a greater transfer through the spokes and into the rim.
I am struggling with the concept that only a portion of the spokes are taking the brake load. When I apply rim brakes to the rim, the entire rim is taking the initial load and transferring that load through all of the spokes. Even the ones at the bottom of wheel are transferring the rim's want to slow down through to the hub.

And again, I still wonder, if because the rim is wider than the hub, is there more stress on the spoke trying to stop the larger rim (disc) or the smaller hub (rim brake)? Centrifugal force is greater when trying to ask the spoke to stop the rim, no?