View Single Post
Old 10-29-20, 06:21 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7069 Post(s)
Liked 11,141 Times in 4,754 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
Why is everybody comparing dual clutch transmissions to electronic shifting in bicycles?

Dual clutch has a couple of advantages:
1. It shifts faster than you can with a manual, and doesn't loose power when doing so, as there isn't a moment with no gear engaged.
2. It avoids the driver having to shift constantly and use a clutch, which many people like (others don't).

Meanwhile, with electronic shifting on bikes:
1. The gears shift exactly the same way as with a mechanical derailleur, with the derailleur derailing the chain from one sprocket to another.
2. You still have to press buttons/levers to do that.

The only advantage I can find to electronic shifter is that it allows you to shift from multiple places (aero bars, drops, etc...) and that, if you're the type of person who can't use both hands at the same time, it has Synchro-Shift (which IMHO is useless, as I don't always want to compensate or do the same amount of compensation).

Finally, getting back to the dual clutch: I have a Skoda with a DSG at home and I still don't trust it reliability-wise. It's an exercise in unnecessary complexity. I'm quite sure my Toyota HSD, which is the opposite (an exercise in simplicity) is going to be way more reliable long-term and is also more comfortable for real-life™ use, with traffic lights and roundabouts, instead of driving like you stole the car on a twisty road, which is where the DSG excels.

Electronic shift on bikes, meanwhile, is an excercise in complexity that doesn't excel anywhere.
It's pretty obvious that you have never used, nor even closely examined, an electronic drivetrain.

Given that you don't really understand it, it seems odd that you are so invested in getting others to eschew it, too.