View Single Post
Old 10-29-20, 06:20 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,051 Times in 681 Posts
I am not seeing the "Made in USA" shield shaped decal that goes on the bottom of the seat tube or the Serotta label that is usually in the middle of the seat tube or the tubing decal that goes on the top of the seat tube. It does have the Serotta decals in the right places though.

It is also interesting that this has been converted to a fixie. If I had a Serotta (still), no way would I be changing it to a fix/ss. But there is no accounting for other peoples tastes or values. That yellow "S" that I see on the semi sloping fork crown leads me to believe that it is a Serotta, but other things leads me to believe that it is not.

Aero frames were all the rage at one time. It is possible that Sir Ben tried an something different than usual, but man, I don't know about this one. It could have been a custom. The paint looks like imron too.

I know he and his shop did fillet brazing. I know they did customs. They did mountain bikes. This has the top tube that ovals horizontally extends past the seat tube to form the seat tube cluster. The down tube looks like it ovals vertically and then horizontally to meet the bottom bracket. I did some looking around the internet and there is a Serotta mountain bike with a top tube that morphs into a rear rack. Could this have been a similar idea for Ben to form this seat cluster.

So, this is an odd one. And then there's the friend that left it behind??? A Serotta?? A possible Serotta custom???

I'm leaning towards "it is a Serotta", but fell into the wrong hands.

I think there is only one way to tell and even that may still be difficult. Please let us know what you find. This is intriguing.