Old 11-01-20, 01:44 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Can you measure this c-c? I have what looks to be the same size & paint scheme, but Bocama lugs; above it was suggested because of the small head tube, but yours fit...

And can you tell us the BB details - with a pic or measure of the chainring-chainstay clearance.
It's a little hard to judge because the photos show the bike not parked on level ground, but looking at the space between the lugs on the head tube I'd say that frame is a 21 1/2" c-t (which is how Carlton measured them). Now imagine trying to reduce that spacing by 2 inches to create a 19 1/2" frame....... Even crowding the lugs, I don't think it will allow a level top tube.

As to BBs, my experience is that some Super Courses have English bottom brackets and others have Raleigh proprietary. Of the five Super Courses that have passed through the garage here, two of them have had Raleigh BBs. The Raleigh ones are several mm wider which makes them easy to recognize without disassembly. Changing cranksets on an English threaded BB is straightforward, the Raleigh one not so much. You'd need the 26 tpi cups (or re-use the ones you have) but a spindle that has a greater distance between the races - perhaps an Italian spindle will work? BITD Phil Wood could sell you an arrangement that worked, but it often cost as much as the bike would have been worth at the time.