View Single Post
Old 11-01-20, 01:53 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 871 Posts
I have questions:

1. This is a Bianchi frame being sold, not a complete bike... "a nice older model that looks to be in good shape". I'm curious as to what model, what year, and what the listing indicated and/or how the OP was able to identify the make and model of the frame.

2. There is a cable lock attached to the frame, which everyone including the OP is pointing to as evidence that it's stolen. Was the complete bike stolen without cutting said lock? If the bike was a complete bike when stolen, are we to believe that the thief had the tools and knowledge to completely strip down the bike to the bare frameset but didn't bother to cut off a cable lock? Or are we to believe that the frameset was already stripped down, but also locked up? Surely someone who steals bikes knows how to cut a cable lock, right? It takes about 3 seconds with some bolt cutters.

3. What are the "local classifieds" where this bike frame was spotted? I would like to see photos, read the description, know the asking price, and most importantly understand how the thread starter was able to identify the seller and look at their "other items" that they're selling, and see what was so alarming about the profile pic that resulted in searching court records. I've never seen a classified listing that includes a sellers full name and a photo of them. It's worth noting that Craigslist does not disclose the identity of sellers in listings, and the thief in this story has presumably chosen to sidestep craigslist in favor of "local classifieds" that requires lots of identifying information and a profile pic.

4. The OP is considering buying the frame (to take to the police!), but is worried that a meth addict will then know where they live. I'm very confused about this part because why would someone spend their own money on something they know is stolen only to turn it over to the police, and also they could just call the police now and never have to talk to the seller. It's also notable that purchasing items through a classified listing does not require someone to disclose their name or address. I've bought and sold many items on the internet and never disclosed this information to anyone

Last edited by msu2001la; 11-01-20 at 02:00 PM.