View Single Post
Old 11-04-20, 03:01 PM
preventec47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Again, I question the cost value in 'converting' a vintage bike as a 'budget' build. Do you have a stash of parts (or access to one) or will you be buying what you think you need to do this conversion? The parts to convert a drop-bar 'Ten-speed' with downtube shifters to a flat-bar bike with shift levers on the bars will probably run $75-$100, although with the current situation, getting parts is kind of a crapshoot.
Starting with an old $150 bike, and adding $100 in parts (provided it needs nothing else, like a tires, a chain, or a saddle) puts you at $250, which will put you into the range of a lot of 2000's era bikes, which are already set up the way you're looking for, won't require as much work (if any) and will probably be lighter, to boot.
Ironfish... You hit bullseye ! Absolutely, all you have to do is go to Craigslist to see hundreds of used bikes ready to ride with no work at all. My problem
is not knowing which are lightweight for my buddy's girlfriend. Again, earlier i was just reminiscing about the only used very light bike that I ever recall running across.