Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 2,490 Times in 1,462 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Here's another example - the climb I did yesterday. It's a little over 3 miles, 8% average grade. For years, I'd do it in somewhere between 25 and 30 minutes, with my heart rate rising quickly up to about 165, with occasional peaks up to as much as 185 on the steepest pitches. This was when I was both fitter and lighter, as well as about 15-20 years younger.

Yesterday, I did it in 27:45, so about middle of that range. Average HR was 149, and max was 160. So, speed in the same range, but the HR ranges are just completely different.

EDIT: It FELT the same as it used to when I was doing it in the 160-180 range, right down to how it feels going around the 20% switchback.
Old La Honda? One of my favorites in the Bay Area. Although, OLH is 3.4 miles average 7.3% so it may be a different climb.

It is interesting that you have not assumed that the change in HR ie lower means added headroom to increase FTP power. I used a coach who liked to monitor HR along with power. The workout was prescribed with power targets based off of FTP but lower HR for a given power was indicative of potential FTP gains.

Now capitalizing on the HR headroom is a different matter entirely. It is very hard to increase HR and speaking for myself, I can develop a happy spot. I am going pretty fast, I feel good, legs feel good but my FTP is the same. To increase FTP or VO2 max for me takes a goal and a lot of motivation and hard efforts over a long period of time. Otherwise, my happy spot of less beats per watt is just great. I need someone to drive me.

And you may not want to put in the work to get the HR back up with a corresponding higher power level. A 27.5 minute climb time is very respectable for 3 miles and 8% grade. You can just declare victory. Or hire a coach and beat the crap out of yourself and see if the HR increases and performance increases and you routinely run sub 25 minute climbs. I suspect it will but maybe not. YMMV.

Another thread could be ... Capitalizing on HR headroom

Last edited by Hermes; 11-07-20 at 09:29 AM.
Likes For Hermes: