View Single Post
Old 11-12-20, 06:25 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
For me it is about the journey and the exploration of myself. There is a part of me, big part, that wants to be free. Free to go in what ever direction curiosity tugs at me. To survive, some of that needs to be curbed. I need a break to chase that curiosity. All of what I chase tends to be mechanically oriented, some would say intensely mechanical, but that is a relative term. For most of us, bicycles are simple, elegant, machines with a touch of art. To others they are complex and look alike.

From a bicycle perspective, I started out with a French bike because it was what I had. I bought it because it had Campagnolo parts, which in the late 60's and early 70's was the best. That stuck really hard, more like brazing or even welding itself to my perspectives.

When the Motobecane was taken out of service by a car, I had already joined BF and was learning a lot about what I had and what became important to me along with intensified curiosity. There is no substitute for experience so you gotta get bikes that will address some of the curiosity. Colnago was a brand that was discussed a lot at the time.

I found one, in Hood River OR of all places, slightly smaller than I should have purchased but close enough. After healing (physical) from the loss of the Le Champion, I was shocked at the ride of the Colnago. SOLD! Ok so now the pursuit became Italian.

However, a move across country was required to stay employed. Needed a bike so found a '84 Trek 610. Then it was learning about Treks. Then a Pinarello showed up, then a Trek 760, then a folding bike, then a 73 Bottecchia, then a Masi Gran Corsa with a Burley Duet, then another Pinarello, then a 2010 Langster (FG/SS), then a De Rosa.

Point is that there is not a long term goal only curiosity with discovery and opportunity. I have learned and tested my likes and dislikes with ever evolving perspective. A fun ride both physically and mentally. I hope it can continue. Even with being an introvert, an engineer trait, I have enjoyed the people on the journey with most of them being on this forum.