Old 11-13-20, 12:42 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I decided not to acquire any new bikes .... I picked a bike out of the trash this week because it was free, and it wasn’t a stupid move, because I have wanted a mountain bike. It’s crazy for me not to have one given all the trails and such around me.
Ditto!

Coming back from an errand, I saw this sitting on the curb 2 blocks from my house, but covered in cobwebs, dust & bird crap, and no shortage of rust on the steel parts (1st pic below after washing the funk off). With some BF love from Mad Honk and Digger Goreman along with a little bits I had around the shop, buying a new bar, grips and noodles, and some time/effort, I was able to get it rolling, up-and-going for under $125 (2nd pic).

I'd really love to replace the 7spd drivetrain and heavy beast of a crank with something lighter, and throw some knobby tires on it, but I've already taken it on a few rides after repacking everything and it's weird riding upright, but overall fun and good, and a perfect fit with the "XL" frame which didn't expect at all! Can't seem to find a good place to get used knobby tires. Can't see spending $70+ on a pair for this specific bike.

Not vintage, but it works and was "free", and something I haven't ridden yet.

Likes For francophile: