Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulGrun
This is exactly what it's like for us. When I pedal, she pedals; when I stop, she stops. I don't know how it works, but it does. It's almost like magic. (no, it's not due to the magic of the timing chain) And yes, she puts out quite a bit of power. I've long since given up trying to explain to non-tandem riders what "non-verbal communication" really means, I just know that I love the feeling of flying down the road with her going like mad.

As for SPDs, I'll probably get hammered for this ... but if I recall correctly we started using clipless SPDs on the tandem before using them on our single bikes, and added them to our single bikes sometime later. (We're road riders). I don't recall exactly, but we must have used toe clips for a while when we first got our tandem in '95, but I honestly can't really remember a time when we didn't use SPDs. i have the release tension set pretty low, mainly because there's no real reason to set it higher, and as far as I can recall I've never dropped my stoker due to a failure to unclip in time.

Earlier this year, she went to a platform pedal for a while in order to help solve a possible knee problem (she has an artificial knee), but hated it so much that she went right back to the SPD. The problem was that, with the varying cadence, she had trouble keeping her foot on the platform. We're one of those teams where the stoker stays clipped in all the time, except for potty breaks. Works for us.
Wonderful story. We tell couples who are considering tandeming that it's like dancing or . . . You're touching each other the whole time. We also tell them that it's a relationship accelerator. Wherever you're going as a couple, you'll get there faster on a tandem. Being attached to your pedals is part of that intimacy. We upgraded our CoMo to belt drive a few years ago. The belt also helps that feeling because there's no slack like in a chain. We also have our pedals set for low release tension.