Old 11-21-20, 05:56 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
... ...
Thursday, I received an email from the Ft. Pierce KOA that my booking was cancelled and I received a refund. When I called to alert them of their mistake, I learned that they are cancelling all tent site bookings until further notice. The attendant mentioned that due to the tendency of tent campers to use more of their common area facilities, they are more likely to spread the COVID-19 virus than their RV guests who will use their own bathrooms and kitchens. ... ...
Wow. I have seen anti-tent camper attitudes with some campground staff before. Such as the time I had a small suggestion for a staff person at a California state park, and she loudly responded that you tenters are low revenue, you are lucky we let you camp here at all. But this is the first time I have seen an organization that caters to RVs show so much blatant contempt against a low revenue class of campers.

If that happened to me, I would let it sit for a couple of days so that I would be less angry when I write a very terse e-mail to their national office. I would probably not want to go to that campground anyway, they would find other ways to let you know you are not welcome, but a complaint to the home office may make things better for bikers in the future in that and other KOA camps.

I stayed at a KOA in California along the Pacific Coast for one night. In that case I was surprised that they offered a hiker biker price for bicyclists, even though we were staying in a regular campsite that they otherwise could have charged a car camper more for.

There are good places, and ... others.